- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp. molasses (use BlackStrap for the strongest flavor)
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 6 tbsp. whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 tbsp Extractly Yours anise extract (use 1 tbsp for a stronger flavor)
- Black food coloring
- Line a 9x5x3 inch bread loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving excess to form handles for easy removal.
- Grease the parchment paper with extra butter
- Clip a calibrated candy thermometer to the side of a heavy 2-quart saucepan, being sure that the gauge is not resting directly on the bottom of the pan.
- Add the butter, sugar, corn syrup, condensed milk, molasses, and salt.
- Turn the heat to medium and bring to a gentle boil.
- Stir the mixture frequently to prevent scorching in the corners.
- Once the mixture reaches 240* F, remove it from the heat and immediately stir in the flour and black food gel. Once they are fully incorporated, stir in the anise extract.
- Pour the mixture into the buttered loaf pan and let it sit in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the pan, and working it quickly, dice it into squares and wrap in waxed paper.
<Back to all recipes.